Master by Research
A Master by Research degree requires you to demonstrate mastery of inquiry in a field of a discipline or profession. You will undertake supervised research and write a thesis equivalent to 50,000 – 60,000 words. The degree is conferred by Swinburne Melbourne.
A Master by Research candidate is expected to:
- plan, conduct and complete a research project or program
- understand relevant techniques in the field demonstrated both by your comprehensive review of the literature and by your research processes
- access and interpret key data in relevant fields
- present outcomes clearly and logically using relevant media.
You must have completed a three-year degree with a minimum average of 65% in the final year units of study.
You will also need to check the specific entry requirements for your program.
English language requirements
Candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- obtain a minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or a TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) minimum score of 79 (with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20); or Pearson (PTE) 58 (no communicative skills less than 50) no longer than 24 months before submitting your application
- successfully complete a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.
Available Master by Research Projects
Swinburne Sarawak also offers specific Master by Research which are aligned with existing research projects.
Master of Science (Research) – Computer Science
The Computing faculty is looking for a Master of Science (Research) candidate for a computer science project supervised by Assoc. Prof. Patrick Then.
The successful candidate is expected to implement and evaluate the efficacy of a novel graph-based knowledge discovery algorithm on healthcare-related datasets. The project offers the opportunity for the candidate to also engage in data science activities in collaboration with local industrial partners and other academic researchers.
The project is fully funded by the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) awarded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia. The candidacy duration is not more than two years.
It is also preferred that an applicant has the skills and prior experience in one or more of the following: Python/R programming, machine learning, and data mining. Having prior scientific publications will add a significant advantage.
The applicant is expected to be an effective team player, possess a strong willingness to learn, able to work independently, and able to work under highly time-constrained environment.
Further enquiries can be directed to Yakub Sebastian
For more information please contact Assoc. Prof. Patrick Then
The application should include:
- A 1-page cover letter, highlighting the motivation and the strengths of the applicant
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- A scanned copy of the Bachelor’s degree certificate and the results transcripts
- Scanned copies of other relevant certifications
- Letters of recommendation from two referees