Dr. Chai Chang Saar
BSc CM (Hons) MSc (CM) PhD (Civil) AFHEA ICIOB MBOT ISDS IRED
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No:+60 82 260959
Fax No:+60 82 260 813
Room No: E613, Building E, FECS
Dr. Chai Chang Saar is a senior lecturer in Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science, Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak. He has vast experience in construction management, completing several projects in Singapore and Malaysia before joining academia. He is well-respected not only in his unparalleled professional track record and high ethical standards, but also in being a committed person to ensure the success of his projects.
Chai obtained his technical degree, MSc and PhD from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia in 2008, 2009 and 2014 respectively. Prior to joining Swinburne Sarawak, he held position as research centre director, research lead, programme coordinator in renowned universities. He had taught courses on various construction project management subjects for postgraduate and undergraduate. Besides, he is supervising several PhD theses, postgraduate and undergraduate dissertations.
Chai is an active researcher. His research interest encompasses digital construction and construction project management. Currently, he is expanding his research area to digital twinning and machine learning that he believes it will be the future for building design and construction. He has published technical papers in leading international journals and proceeding. Besides, he has been selected for several international journal manuscript reviewer and editorial board member.
- Digital Construction
- Building Information Modelling/ Management
- Construction Project Management
- Associate Fellow Higher Education Academy, UK
- Incorporated Charted Institute of Building, UK
- Graduate Technologist, MBOT, Malaysia
- Professional Member, International Society for Development and Sustainability, Japan
- Fellow, Institute of Research Engineers and Doctors, USA
PhD / Master by Research Opportunities
Potential research higher degree candidates are welcome to enquire about postgraduate opportunities in the following areas/ projects:
- Cloud as Construction Digital Platform Transformation
- Digital Twinning Performance Measurement
- Blockchain Risk Management Framework for Addressing BIM Security
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the above topics.
Current RHD Supervision
|Name||Degree||Area of Research||Start year||Role|
|Aref Charehzahi||PhD||Civil Engineering||2016||Coordinating Supervisor|
|Santi Edra Nisa Lau||PhD||Civil Engineering||2017||Coordinating Supervisor|
- Book Eeydzah Aminuddin and Chai Chang Saar. (2019). Building Information Modelling, UTM Press (in- press).
- Book Chai Chang Saar and Noor Nabilah Sarbini. (2016). Knowledge Management in Construction Industry. UTM Press. ISBN 978-983-52-1337-3
- Book chapter Aminah Md Yusof, Chai ChangSaar, Julaida Johan. (2014). Urban Poor and Housing Affordability in Malaysia. Book Chapter, Taylor Francis.
- Journal paper Tey Kim Hai, Chai ChangSaar, Aminah Md Yusof (2018). Conceptualizing 4Cs in Construction Project Team Integration. Malaysia Construction Research Journal. Vol 24, No. 1 pp 83-96.
- Journal paper Aref C., CS Chai, AM Yusof, SC Loo, HY Chong. (2017). Building Information Modelling in Construction Conflict Management. International Journal of Engineering, Business Management. Vol 9, 1-18.
- Journal paper SY Lim, CS Chai, AM Yusuf, SC Loo, HY Chong. (2017). An Empirical Review of Integrated Project Delivery System. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology. Vol 8 (1), pp 1-8.
- Journal paper Justin Lai, Rosli Zin, Chai ChangSaar and Khairulzan Yahya. (2016). Engineering Consultancy Practice (ECP) Business Model in Malaysia: A Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) Approach. International Journal of Business and Management. Vol 11, No 3.
- Journal paper Nurul Alifah Jantaro, Aminah Md Yusuf, Syuhaida Ismail and Chai Chang Saar. (2016). Public Construction Projects Performance in Malaysia. Journal of Southeast Asia Research. Vol 20, pp 16.
- Journal paper NI Abidin, R Zakaria, E Aminudin, CS Chai, V Munikanan, IS Zin and M Bandi. (2016). Malaysia’s Local Agenda 21: Implementation and Approach in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Johor Bahru. IIOAB Journal. Vol 7, pp 554-562.
- Journal paper ChangSaar Chai, Aminah Md Yusof and Hadina Habil. (2015). Delay Mitigation in the Malaysian Housing Industry: A Structural Equation Modelling Approach. Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, 20(1), 65–83, 2015.
- Journal paper Chai ChangSaar and Aminah Md Yusof (2014). SEM Approach: Reclassifying Housing Delay in Malaysian Housing Industry. Journal of Economics, Business and Management (JOEBM). Vol 3, No 3: 364-369.
- Journal paper Chai ChangSaar and Aminah Md Yusof (2013). Reclassifying Housing Delivery Classification. International Journal of Business and Management: Vol. 8, No 22: 2013, 107-117.
- Conference paper S. L. Fan, C.S Chai and K. Vikram. (2019) Identification of Critical Infrastructure Using Data Mining Techniques. Interdependences between Structural Engineering and Construction. ISBN: 978-0-9960437-6-2, doi: 10.14455/ISEC.res.2019.86.
- Conference paper SEN Lau, R Zakaria, E Aminudin, CS Chai, A Yusuf and CMFHC Wahid. (2018). A Review of Application BIM During Pre-Construction Stage: Retrospective and Future Directions. IOP: Earth and Environmental Science 143 (1), pp 12-50.
- Conference paper Chai ChangSaar, Tan Cher Siang, Fatin Afiqah Ahmad Bajuri, Loo Siaw Chuing, Aminah Md Yusof and Lee Xia Sheng. (2017). Building Information Modelling Adoption in Malaysian Industrialised Building System. International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology.
- Conference paper ChangSaar Chai, CherSiang Tan, Eeydzah Aminudin, SiawChuing Loo, KaiChen Goh, MayChuan Theong, XiaSheng Lee and LiWei Chin. (2017). The Potential Cost Implications and Benefits from Building Information Modelling in Malaysian Construction Industry. MATEC.
- Conference paper Chai ChangSaar, Loo SiawChuing, Aminah Md Yusof, Rozana Zakaria and Theong May Chuan. (2017). Construction Cost Index: A Case Study in Malaysia. AIP.
- Conference paper MM Mering, E Aminudin, CS Chai, R Zakaria, CS TAN, YY Lee, AA Redzuan. (2017). Adoption of BIM in Project Planning Risk Management. IOP: Materials Science and Engineering. Vol 271 (1), pp 12-43.
- Conference paper Nur Fakhira Bt Azmi, ChangSaar Chai, Mohd Norazam bin Yasin, LiWei Chin. (2016). Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Malaysian Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC). The Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM) 2016.
- Conference paper Chin LiWei, Chai ChangSaar, Aminah Md Yusof. (2016). The Cost Benefits of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Malaysia Construction Industry. The Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM) 2016.
- Conference paper Jatarona, N. A., Yusof, A. M., Ismail, S. & Saar, C. C. (2015). Problems in public construction project in Malaysia: Evidence from National Audit Report. Proceedings of the 26th International Business Information Management Association Conference – Innovation Management and Sustainable Economic Competitive Advantage: From Regional Development to Global Growth, IBIMA 2015. International Business Information Management Association, IBIMA, p. 1337-1358.
- Conference paper Charehzehi, A., Yusof, A. M., Chai, C. & Chong, H. Y. (2015). Conceptualizing Building Information Modelling: In Construction Conflict Management. Proceedings of the 26th International Business Information Management Association Conference – Innovation Management and Sustainable Economic Competitive Advantage: From Regional Development to Global Growth, IBIMA 2015. International Business Information Management Association, IBIMA, p. 811-817.
- Conference paper Aminah Md Yusof, Chai ChangSaar, Julaida Johan. (2014). An Analysis of Housing Affordability Among Potential House Buyers in The City of Kuala Lumpur. CRIOCM 2014.
- Conference paper Julaida Johan, Aminah Md Yusof, Chai ChangSaar. (2014). A Review of Housing Affordability in the City of Kuala Lumpur. International Graduate Conference on Engineering, Science and Humanities, 2014. UTM.