This unit provides students with the opportunity to undertake a minor research investigation on any Civil or Construction Engineering related topic and prepare a research paper having potential to be published in peer-reviewed conferences or journals.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit should be able to:
- Appreciate and apply the processes involved in conducting research
- Manage a minor project and complete the task satisfactorily considering available time and resources
- Appraise current literature and identify research gaps
- Discuss and interpret research findings through preparation of a written report and oral presentation
- Students may select a project from a list prepared by academic staff
- Students are generally expected to conduct literature review critically to define and formulate research questions/ problems and to systematically develop and justify answers/ solutions/recommendations mainly based on the analysis of the existing literature/ data
- Some topics may partially involve data collection, computer/ numerical modelling and/ or limited experiments depending on the nature of the topic
- Projects are undertaken under supervision of staff members and total student time spent on the project is expected to be a minimum of 150-165 hours (including contact hours or online activities)
- Students are required to contact academic staff for confirmation of supervision and research on convenor-approved topics.