Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science together with SUTS IChemE Student Chapter organised an invited talk of “Career in Quality – What you need to know” on 12 May 2021 (Wednesday) 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm through Microsoft Teams. Ir. Stephanie Sim Hui Kheng from JKR Sarawak delivered the talk to approximately 30 Swinburne University engineering students from various programmes including MME40001 Engineering Management 2 students and 2 faculty staff.
The event started with a welcome address by Ms. Gladys Tan, SUTS IChemE Student Chapter event coordinator who is also the emcee for today’s webinar. The Guest Speaker was introduced by Dr. Elaine Yeu, after which Ir. Stephanie Sim took to the stage and started with the lecture. Ir. Stephanie Sim begins her lecture with a brief introduction about Quality, including the definition of Quality vs. Compliance, Quality Concept, Quality Gurus.
Through this guest lecture, students learned the followings:
- What is quality and purpose of quality
- What is the difference between Quality Control and Quality Assurance
- What is Quality Management and Quality Management Process
- Quality Management System vs. Total Quality Management
- History of Quality Management System
- Process Approach Monitoring – Continual Improvement of the Quality Management System
- 8 Management Principles
- ISO Principles and Certifications
The sharing session is followed by Q&A session. Students actively participate during the Q&A session and have a good interaction with the speaker. The session is ended with presenting a token of appreciation to Ir. Stephanie Sim by Ms. Chai Pui Ching, MME40001 Unit Convenor. The event ended with an honorarium to the guests and a vote of thanks.