School of Chemical Engineering and Science together with Engineers Australia Swinburne Sarawak Student Society and Swinburne Sarawak IChemE Student Chapter organised an invited talk of “Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Process” on 27 May 2021 (Thursday) 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. through Microsoft Teams. Senior Manager and Technologist Madam Rose Sapinah Hashim from Petronas LNG complex Bintulu delivered the talk to approximately 40 Swinburne University engineering students from all engineering programs including CEE30007 Process Control & Measurements students and the unit convenor Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Musaad Elhadi.
The event started with a welcome address by Ms Jaclyn Lo, Engineers Australia Swinburne Sarawak Student Society President who is also the emcee for this webinar. Ms Jaclyn Lo then introduced the Guest Speaker, after which Senior Manager and Technologist Madam Rose Sapinah Hashim from Petronas LNG complex Bintulu took the stage and started with the talk. Eng. Rose begins her talk with a comprehensive overview on LNG process followed by LNG portfolio in PETRONAS, and then the role of engineers in LNG complex.
Through this guest lecture, students learned the followings:
- What is LNG and its composition and physical properties
- The end-use of LNG
- The transportation of LNG and the associated costs
- The processes including in NLG
- The detailed description of natural gas treatments processes
- The detailed description of liquefaction process
- The applications of LNG (power generation, cooking, heating, and transportation sector)
- The locations of PETRONAS LNG complexes locally and globally
- The history of LNG industry in Malaysia
- LNG complex Bintulu organisation chart and the roles of engineers (chemical, mechanical, electrical, etc.) among others
The sharing session is followed by Q&A session. Students actively participate during the Q&A session and have a good interaction with the speaker. The session is ended with presenting a certificate of appreciation to Eng. Rose by Dr. Elaine. The event ended with an honorarium to the guests and a vote of thanks.