Professor Ts. Dr. Lau Bee Theng
Director, School of Research
PhD (IT), MSc (IT), BSS (Hons), CTFL, PTECH
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No:+60 82 260 686
Fax No:+60 82 260 813
Room No: A401, Building A
Google Scholar Scopus ORCID
She is currently a professor in ICT and the Director School of Research, Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus. Her research interests are:
- Artificial intelligence in activity recognition, natural scene text recognition, audio event detection, road accidents recognition, wafer surface defect detection, financial risks recognition, aesthetic preference of design objects
- Smart/creative technologies for the healthcare and well being of people with visual impairment, autism, cerebral palsy, intellectually giftedness, paediatric cancer etc.
- Alternative learning methods in education and STEM education
- Rural informatics for bridging the digital divide
- Impact study of digital devices on students
She has been actively contributing to her research areas with various edited books, peer reviewed journals, conference proceedings, masters by research and PhD completions, and funded research projects on assistive technologies for special children, facial expression recognition-based communication, social skills acquisition with animations, real time behaviour recognition, smart technologies for the visually impaired, creative art therapies for Autism, STEM education etc. In addition, she also involves actively in community services working with special education schools, NGOs for the people with visual impairment and other disabilities. She is a Senior Member of IEEE and Association of Computing Machinery, Professional Technologist (Malaysia Board of Technologist) and Certified Tester (International Software Testing Qualifications Board). She has involved actively in national and international professional bodies in the executive committees, education, professional and humanitarian projects, winner of IEEE Malaysia Outstanding Volunteer 2018 and IEEE Asia Pacific Outstanding HTA Volunteer 2021.
- Senior Member, IEEE
- Senior Member, ACM
- Professional Technologies, MBOT
- Certified Tester, ISTQB
- Book and book chapters (Peer-Reviewed Book Chapter) Chai, A.B.C., Lau, B.T., Chai, A., Deverell, L., Mahmoud, A., and McCarthy, C., 2019, Comprehensive Literature Reviews on Ground Plane Checking for the Visually Impaired, Technological Trends in Improved Mobility of the Visually Impaired, EAI/Springer Innovations in Communications and Computing. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-16450-8_4
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Ong, YL, Theng, LB, Chai, A, and McCarthy, C, 2021, ‘Development of Vertical Text Interpreter for Natural Scene Images’. IEEE Access. ISSN: 2169-3536. In press.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Lim, W, Lau, BT, Chua, C and Islam, F, 2021, ‘Do information and communication technologies influence skills, competencies, health and well-being of teenagers? Current evidence’, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Pervasive Health and Technology, DOI: 10.4108/eai.6-4-2021.169174.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Deverell, L, Bhowmik, J, Mahmud, AA, Lau, BT, Islam, F, Sukunesan, S, McCarthy, C and Meyer, D, 2021, ‘Self-reported use of technology by orientation and mobility clients in Australia and Malaysia before the COVID-19 pandemic’, British Journal of Visual Impairment, ISSN: 1744-5809.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Carmen, WEC, Lau, BT, Al Mahmud, A and Tsun, MTK, 2020, ‘A virtual pet serious game in motivating children with cancer in treatment and self-care: a conceptual design’, Malaysian Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, Vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 6-19.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Phua, C, Theng, LB, 2021, ‘Detection and Classification of Semiconductor Wafer Surface Defects using Deep Learning’. IAENG International Journal of Computer Science. ISSN: 1819-9224 (online version); 1819-656X (print version). Accepted for publication.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Yang, I, and Theng, LB, 2020, ‘Student perceptions on watching learners-produced screencast videos in Learning Mathematics’, International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, Vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 52–63.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Lil Deverell, Jahar Bhowmik, Bee Theng Lau, Abdullah Al Mahmud, Suku Sukunesan, Fakir M. Amirul Islam, Chris McCarthy & Denny Meyer (2020) Use of technology by orientation and mobility professionals in Australia and Malaysia before COVID-19, Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, DOI: 10.1080/17483107.2020.1785565
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Chai, A.B.C. and B.T. Lau (2020). Exploring the outdoor performance of a LiDAR-based ground plane checking system for the visually impaired. EAI Endorsed Transactions on Pervasive Health and Technology. DOI: 10.4108/eai.13-7-2018.165498.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Yang, I., and Theng, L. B. (2020). Student Perceptions on Watching Learners-produced Screencast Videos in Learning Mathematics. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, Vol. 9 No. 1, pp. 52–63. DOI: 10.6007/IJARPED/v9-i1/6876.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Teo, J.X., Lau, B.T. & Then, P.H.H. (2020) Autism Spectrum Disorders in Sarawak: An Overview and Analysis of Educator Awareness, Training, Development Opportunities, and Challenges, International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, DOI: 10.1080/1034912X.2020.1731433
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Chai, C. W. E., Lau, B. T., Al Mahmud, A., and Tee, M. K. T. (2020). A Survey of Digital Health Interventions for Children with Cancer. International Journal of Serious Games, Vol. 7, No. 2, June 2020. ISSN: 2384-8766. DOI: 10.17083/ijsg.v7i2.340
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Chai, C., Lau, B., and Pan, Z., 2019. Hungry Cat—A serious game for conveying spatial information to the visually impaired. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 3(1), 12. DOI: 10.3390/mti3010012.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Chai, A.B.C., Lau, B.T., Meyer, D., Chai, A., Pan, Z., Deverell, L., Mahmoud, A., and McCarthy, C., 2019. A ground plane hazards detection tool for the visually impaired. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 146-156, Jan 2019 ISSN: 2278-0149. DOI: 10.18178/ijmerr.8.1.146-156.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Ling, D.K.X., Lau, B.T. and Chai, and A.W.Y, 2019. Finger-mounted Obstacle Detector for People with Visual Impairment, International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Telecommunications, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 57-64, January 2019. ISSN: 2319-2518. DOI: 10.18178/ijeetc.180111.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Teo, J.X. and Lau, B.T., 2018. Parental Perceptions, Attitudes and Involvement in Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Sarawak, Malaysia. Disability, CBR & Inclusive Development. Vol. 29, No. 1. ISSN: 2211-5242 (Online). DOI: https://doi.org/10.5463/dcid.v29i1.664
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Tee, M.K.T., Lau, B.T. and Siswoyo Jo, H., 2018. Exploring the Performance of a Sensor-Fusion-Based Navigation System for Human Following Companion Robots, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 590-598, November 2018, ISSN: 2278-0149. DOI: 10.18178/ijmerr.7.6.590-598.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Win, K.M. and Lau, B.T., 2018. Integration of Digital Social Story Intervention into Differentiated Instruction Framework. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 41-56, 2017. DOI: 10.3233/jid-2017-0008.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Tee, M.K.T., Lau, B.T. and Siswoyo Jo, H., 2018. An improved indoor robot human-following navigation model using depth camera, active IR marker and proximity sensors fusion, Robotics, Vol. 7 (4), ISSN 2218-6581. DOI: 10.3390/robotics7010004).
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Deverell L, Meyer D, Lau BT, et al., 2017. Optimising technology to measure functional vision, mobility and service outcomes for people with low vision or blindness: protocol for a prospective cohort study in Australia and Malaysia, BMJ Open, Vol. 7. DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-018140.
- Journal paper (Peer-Reviewed Journal) Yang, I. and Lau, B. T., 2017. Effects of using learners produced screencast as worked examples in learning, EAI Endorsed Transactions on e-Learning, Vol. 4 (15), ISSN: 2032-9253. DOI: 10.4108/eai.29-11-2017.153390.