Dr. Chew Jiuan Jing
Discipline Leader - BEng (Hons) Chemical; Senior Lecturer, Chemical Engineering
BEng (Hons) (Chemical) (Curtin), PhD (Monash), MIEAust CPEng APEC Engineer IntPE(Aus)
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No:+60 82 260 876
Room No: E203, Building E, FECS
Dr. J.J. Chew completed her first degree in 2006 with first class degree in Chemical Engineering with Honours. She then practiced as process engineer for 3 years before pursuing for her Ph.D. studies. In 2016, her PhD in Chemical Engineering from Monash University on the conversion of biomass to solid biofuel was conferred. She joined the Faculty of Engineering, Computing & Science, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus) in late 2014 and completed a Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching (Higher Education) in 2017. She is currently a senior lecturer and discipline leader in Chemical Engineering department. J.J. is one of the leading researchers in Swinburne Sarawak working on pyrolysis of biomass and wastes, biofuels production, biomass pre-treatment, gas and liquid phase adsorption, biomass conversion for chemicals and value-added materials.
- Gasification and pyrolysis of biomass and wastes for fuel and chemicals
- Biofuels from biomass and wastes
- Biomass pre-treatment
- Chemical engineering education
- Green solvents
- Member of The Institution of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- APEC Engineer and IntPE(Aus)
- Associate Member of Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Graduate Member of Board of Engineers Malaysia
- Graduate Member of Institution of Engineers Malaysia (IEM)
- Member of Golden Key National Honour Society, Australia
PhD/Master by Research Opportunities
Potential research higher degree candidates are welcome to enquire about postgraduate opportunities in the following areas/ projects:
- Acid-based catalytic wet torrefaction on oil palm biomass (PhD)
- Biomass utilisation and biorefinery (Masters & PhD)
Please contact Dr. J.J. Chew for more information on the above topics.
Current RHD Supervision
|Name||Degree||Area of Research||Start year||Role|
|Jonathan Cheng Lin Yang||Master||Biomass Pretreatment||2020||Coordinating Supervisor|
|Liza Melia Anak Terry||Master||Biofuel||2020||Associate Supervisor|
|Lai Jia Yen||PhD||Gas Phase Adsorption||2020||Associate Supervisor|
|Adeline Lim Kher Li||Master||Liquid Phase Adsorption||2019||Coordinating Supervisor|
|Megan Soh Zheyin||PhD||Biofuel||2018||Associate Supervisor|
|Claudia Li Chia Chrng||PhD||Membrane Technology||2017||Associate Supervisor|
- Journal Paper Lai, J. Y., Ngu, L. H., Hashim, S. S., Chew, J. J., & Sunarso, J. (2021). Review of oil palm-derived activated carbon for CO 2 capture. Carbon Letters, 1-52.
- Journal Paper Soh, M., Khaerudini, D. S., Chew, J. J., & Sunarso, J. (2021). Wet torrefaction of empty fruit bunches (EFB) and oil palm trunks (OPT): effects of process parameters on their physicochemical and structural properties. South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, 35, 126-136.
- Journal Paper Lim, A., Chew, J.J., Ngu, L. H., Ismadji, S., Khaerudini, D. S., & Sunarso, J. (2020). Synthesis, Characterization, Adsorption Isotherm, and Kinetic Study of Oil Palm Trunk-Derived Activated Carbon for Tannin Removal from Aqueous Solution. ACS omega, 5(44), 28673-28683.
- Journal Paper Sunarso, J., Hashim, S.S., Yeo, J.Y.J., Chew, J.J. (2020). MATLAB-based project assessment in process modelling unit: A case study from Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus. Education for Chemical Engineers, 33, 17-26.
- Journal Paper Chew, J. J., Soh, M., Sunarso, J., Yong, S.-T., Doshi, V., & Bhattacharya, S. (2020). Gasification of torrefied oil palm biomass in a fixed-bed reactor: Effects of gasifying agents on product characteristics, Journal of the Energy Institute, 93(2), 711-722.
- Journal Paper Li, C., Li, W., Chew, J. J., Liu, S., & Sunarso, J. (2020). Oxygen permeation through single-phase perovskite membrane: Modeling study and comparison with the dual-phase membrane, Separation and Purification Technology, 235, 116224.
- Journal Paper Chew, J. J., Soh, M., Sunarso, J., Yong, S.-T., Doshi, V., & Bhattacharya, S. (2020). Isothermal kinetic study of CO2 gasification of torrefied oil palm biomass, Biomass and Bioenergy, 134, 105487.
- Journal Paper Li, C., Li, W., Chew, J. J., Liu, S., Zhu, X., & Sunarso, J. (2019). Rate determining step in SDC-SSAF dual-phase oxygen permeation membrane. Journal of Membrane Science, 573, 628-638.
- Journal Paper Soh, M., Chew, J. J., Liu, S., & Sunarso, J. (2019). Comprehensive kinetic study on the pyrolysis and combustion behaviours of five oil palm biomass by thermogravimetric-mass spectrometry (TG-MS) analyses, BioEnergy Research, 12 (2), 370-387.
- Journal Paper Li, C., Chew, J. J., Mahmoud, A., Liu, S., & Sunarso, J. (2018). Modelling of oxygen transport through mixed ionic-electronic conducting (MIEC) ceramic-based membranes: An overview. Journal of Membrane Science, 567, 228-260.
- Journal Paper Chew, J.J., Doshi, V., Yong, S.-T., & Bhattacharya, S. (2016). Kinetic study of torrefaction of oil palm shell, mesocarp and empty fruit bunch. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 1-7.
- Journal Paper Chew, J. J. & Doshi, V. (2011). Recent advances in biomass pretreatment – Torrefaction fundamentals and technology. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 15, 4212-4222.
- Book Chapter Ngu, L.W.W., Chew, J.J., & Twaiq F. (2017). Halloysite Nanotubes as a Catalyst Support: A review. Advances in the Science and Technology of Carbon Nanotubes, 14-28.
- Conference Paper Soh, M., Chew, J. J., & Sunarso, J. (2020). Thermogravimetric analyses (TGA) of three oil palm biomass pyrolysis: Kinetics and reaction mechanisms. Paper presented at 26th Regional Symposium on Chemical Engineering (RSCE2019), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with proceedings publication in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 778, 012100.
- Conference Paper Chew, J.J., Doshi, V., & S.T. Yong. Torrefaction for enhancement of oil palm biomass characteristics. Paper presented at the 27th Symposium of Malaysian Chemical Engineers (SOMChE 2014) in conjunction with 21st Regional Symposium on Chemical Engineering (RSCE 2014), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Conference Paper Chew, J.J., Doshi, V., & Loh E.J. Upgrading of biomass properties via torrefaction. Paper presented at the 3rd International Congress on Green Process Engineering (GPE 2011), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.