Colin Tan Choon Lin
BEng (UNIMAS), MSc (UNIMAS)
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No: +60 82 260 688
Fax No:+60 82 260 813
Room No: E322, Building E, FECS
Colin Tan received his BEng (Hons) in Electronics and Computer Engineering and MSc in Computer Science from Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS). After completing his Master’s study in 2016, he went to Kuala Lumpur and worked as a lecturer in Erican College. In 2017, he continued his study in UNIMAS and passed his PhD thesis defense in February 2021. His PhD research is in the information security domain, specializing on the detection of phishing websites. In April 2021, Colin joined Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak as a lecturer.
- Information security
- Machine learning
- Feature selection
- Image processing
- Journal Paper Tan, C. L., Chiew, K. L., Yong, K. S. C., Sze, S. N., Abdullah, J., & Sebastian, Y. (2020). A graph-theoretic approach for the detection of phishing webpages. Computers & Security, 95, 101793.
- Journal Paper Chiew, K. L., Tan, C. L., Wong, K., Yong, K. S. C., & Tiong, W. K. (2019). A new hybrid ensemble feature selection framework for machine learning-based phishing detection system. Information Sciences, 484, 153–166
- Journal Paper Chiew, K. L., Chang, E. H., Tan, C. L., Abdullah, J., & Yong, K. S. C. (2018). Building Standard Offline Anti-phishing Dataset for Benchmarking. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7(4.31), 7–14.
- Journal Paper Tan, C. L., Chiew, K. L., Musa, N., & Abang Ibrahim, D. H. (2018). Identifying the Most Effective Feature Category in Machine Learning-based Phishing Website Detection. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7(4.31), 1–6.
- Journal Paper Chiew, K. L., Yong, K. S. C., & Tan, C. L. (2018). A survey of phishing attacks: Their types, vectors and technical approaches. Expert Systems with Applications, 106, 1–20.
- Journal Paper Tan, C. L., Chiew, K. L., Wong, K., & Sze, S. N. (2016). PhishWHO: Phishing webpage detection via identity keywords extraction and target domain name finder. Decision Support Systems, 88, 18–27.
- Conference Paper Yong, K. S. C., Chiew, K. L., & Tan, C. L. (2019). A survey of the QR code phishing: the current attacks and countermeasures. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Smart Computing & Communications, 1–5.
- Conference Paper Tan, C. L., Chiew, K. L., & Sze, S. N. (2017). Phishing Webpage Detection Using Weighted URL Tokens for Identity Keywords Retrieval. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Robotic, Vision, Signal Processing and Power Applications, 133–139.
- Conference Paper Tan, C. L., Chiew, K. L., & Sze, S. N. (2014). Phishing website detection using URL-assisted brand name weighting system. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, 54–59.