Dr. Bing Shen How
MEng (Hons) PhD (University of Nottingham, Malaysia) AMIChemE
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No:+60 82 260 902
Fax No:+60 82 260 813
Room No: E328
Dr. B.S. How received his MEng(Hons) in Chemical Engineering from the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Nottingham (Malaysia Campus) in 2014. He further received his Ph.D. from the same institution in 2018. Upon graduation, Dr. How first joined the same department as a teaching assistant. Subsequently, he worked as a postdoctoral in Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS in the late 2018. After the completion of the postdoctoral project, he then joined the School of Engineering, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak Campus) (SUTS) as a Lecturer in 2019.
Dr. How has high research competency. His research interests include sustainable biomass value chain, energy planning & carbon management, process integration & optimization, multi-criteria decision-making and P-graph application
- Sustainable biomass value chain
- Energy planning & carbon management
- Process integration & optimization
- Multi-criteria decision-making
- P-graph application
- Associate Member, The Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Graduate Member, The Institution of Engineers, Malaysia
- Graduate Member, Board of Engineers Malaysia.
PhD/Master by Research Opportunities
Potential research higher degree candidates are welcome to enquire about postgraduate opportunities in the following areas/ projects:
- Stochastic modelling of sustainable biomass value chain in East Malaysia: A Techno-economic study
- Multi-criteria Modelling of circular economy of hydrogen networks in East Malaysia
- Carbon-constrained energy planning with the consideration of multi-period allocation
Please contact Dr. How for more information on the above topic.
- Book and book chapter How, B.S. (2018). An Overview of Palm Biomass Supply Chain Modelling. In: Foo, D.C.Y. & Tun Abdul Aziz M.K., eds. Green Technologies for the Oil Palm Industry. Singapore: Springer, 131-172.
- Book and book chapter Lam, H.L., How, B.S., Hong, B.H. (2015). Green supply chain toward sustainable industry development. In: J.J. Klemes, ed. Assessing and Measuring Environmental Impact and Sustainability. Waltham, USA: Elsevier, 409-444.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Lam, H.L. (2018). Sustainability Evaluation for Biomass Supply Chain Synthesis: Novel Principal Component Analysis (PCA) Aided Optimisation Approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 189, 941-961.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Yeoh, T.T., Tan, T.K., Chong, K.H., Ganga, D., Lam, H.L. (2018). Debottlenecking of sustainability performance for integrated biomass supply chain: P-graph approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 193, 720-733.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Lam, H.L. (2018). PCA Method for Debottlenecking of Sustainability Performance in Integrated Biomass Supply Chain. (In Pres), Process Integration and Optimisation for Sustainability, doi.org/10.1007/s41660-018-0036-3.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Lam, H.L. (2017). Integrated Palm Biomass Supply Chain toward Sustainable Management. Chemical Product and Process Modeling. DOI: 10.1515/cppm-2017-0024.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Hong, B.H., Lam, H.L., Friedler, F. (2016). Synthesis of Multiple Biomass Corridor via Decomposition Approach: A P-graph Application. Journal of Cleaner Production, 130, 45-57.
- Journal paper Hong, B.H., How, B.S., Lam, H.L. (2016). Overview of Sustainable Biomass Supply Chain: From Concept to Modelling. Clean Technologies Environmental Policy. 18(7), 2173-2194.
- Journal paper How, B.S., Tan, K.Y., Lam, H.L. (2016). Transportation Decision Tool for Optimisation of Integrated Biomass Flow with Vehicle Capacity Constraints. Journal of Cleaner Production, 136(Part B), 197-223.
- Journal paper Chan, Y.J., Tan, W.J.R., How, B.S., Lee, J.J., Lau, V.Y. (2015). Fuzzy optimisation approach on the treatment of palm oil mill effluent (POME) via up-flow anaerobic sludge blanket–hollow centered packed bed (UASB–HCPB) reactor. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 5, 112-117.
- Conference paper Lim, C.H., How, B.S., Ng, W.P.Q., Leong, W.D., Ngan, S.L., Lam, H.L. (2018). Debottlenecking Biomass Supply Chain Resources Deficiency via Element Targeting Approach. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 70, 2155-2160.
- Conference paper Ngan, S.L., How, B.S., Promentille, M.A.B., Yatim, P., Lam, H.L. (2018). Integrating Stakeholder’s Role in Mitigating Risks for Future Cleaner Production. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 1327-1332.
- Conference paper How, B.S., Ngan, S.L., Lam, H.L. (2018). Sustainability Vector: A Graphical Representation Method for Effective Evaluation and Analysis. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 70, 205-210.
- Conference paper How, B.S., Lam, H.L. (2017). Novel Evaluation Approach for Biomass Supply Chain: An Extended Application of PCA. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 61, 1591-1596.
Lam, H.L., Chong, K.H., Tan, T.T., Ponniah, G.D., Tin, Y.T., How, B.S. (2017). Debottlenecking of the Integrated Biomass Network with Sustainability Index. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 61, 1615-1620.
- Conference paper How, B.S., Hong, B.H., Lam, H.L., Friedler, F. (2015). Synthesis of Multiple Biomass Corridor via Decomposition Approach: A P-graph Application. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 45, 1363-1368.