Ir. Professor Sim Kwan Yong is Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak Campus. His previous appointments include Executive Dean (Academic) – Interim, Head of School for School of Engineering, Associate Dean at the Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science, Swinburne Sarawak, Malaysia Research Assessment (MyRA) Lead Auditor, Engineering Accreditation Council Panel of Evaluator. He is a registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with the Board of Engineer Malaysia (BEM), Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the U.K. Engineering Council.
- System Testing and Analysis
- Software Vulnerability
- Machine Learning
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting
- Professional Engineer, Board of Engineer Malaysia
- Chartered Engineer, UK Engineering Council
- Member, Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
PhD/Master by Research Opportunities
Potential research higher degree candidates are welcome to enquire about Master or PhD opportunities in the areas listed above. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Recent Research Grants:
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia, 2020-2022. Title: Scalable Time Series Pattern Recognition on IoT Sensor Data by Using Magnitude Based Dimension Reduction. Research Area: Data Science, IoT. Project Status: On-going. Project Role: Co-Investigator.
- Industry Client, 2019-2020. Title: Drone Automation. Area: Drone, Automation. Project Status: Completed. Project Role: Project Member.
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia, 2019-2021. Title: Blocking Bugs from Blockchain: Formulating New Reverse Metamorphic Testing Method for Error Trapping in Blockchain based Software. Research Area: Data Science. Project Status: Completed. Project Role: Principal Investigator.
- Melbourne-Sarawak Collaborative Research Development Scheme, 2015-2018. Title: Testing of an Optimal Prediction Model for Oil Drilling. 00. Research Area: Data Science, Software Testing. Project Status: Completed. Project Role: Co-Investigator.
- Kanwal, A., Lau, M.F., Ng, S.P., Sim, K.Y. and Chandrasekaran, S., 2022. BiCuDNNLSTM-1dCNN—A hybrid deep learning-based predictive model for stock price prediction. Expert Systems with Applications, 202, p.117123.
- Tariq, S., Sim, K.H. and Sim, K.Y., 2022, March. Dynamic Time Series Data Reduction for NILM Appliance Identification. In 2022 the 6th International Conference on Innovation in Artificial Intelligence (ICIAI) (pp. 105-111).
- Chai, S.S., Cheah, W.L., Goh, K.L., Chang, Y.H.R., Sim, K.Y. and Chin, K.O., 2021. A Multilayer Perceptron Neural Network Model to Classify Hypertension in Adolescents Using Anthropometric Measurements: A Cross-Sectional Study in Sarawak, Malaysia. Computational and mathematical methods in medicine, 2021.
- Chai, S.S., Goh, K.L., Chang, Y.H.R. and Sim, K.Y., 2021. Coupling Normalization with Moving Window in Backpropagation Neural Network (BNN) for Passive Microwave Soil Moisture Retrieval. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, 14(1), pp.1-11.