Hugh John Leong Yik Kuan
MAEd (Manchester, UK), BEd (Hons) (TESL) (UM)
Faculty of Business, Design and Arts
Office No:+60 82 260 745
Fax No:+60 82 260 815
Room No: B334
Prior to joining Swinburne, Hugh taught at various schools both in the UK and Malaysia. His Master of Arts in Education involved case studies of testing and assessment in Malaysian secondary schools. Hugh is passionate about research into secondary school contexts, changes and evolution of policy in education, and school leadership and management.
At Swinburne, Hugh currently teaches Academic & Communication Skills B and is also a research fellow. He is also passionate about English debating, and has conducted several debate workshops as well as helped organised debate tournaments in Kuching.
Testing and Assessment, Policy Transfer and Policy Travel in Education, Educational Research and Practice
Honours and Awards
- Swinburne Sarawak SEED Grant 2012
- Swinburne Sarawak Research Fellowship 2013 – 2014
- Conference paper: Leong, H. (2014, September 18). The Malaysia Education Blueprint: Balancing policy and practice. The Borneo Post. Retrieved from http://www.theborneopost.com.
- Conference paper: Leong, H., Yin, C., & Lee, R. (2014) Documenting EFL language learners’ experiences in an intensive English program. 3rd International Conference of Issues in Language Teaching and Learning Amongst Non-Native Speakers, Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia 18 – 19 February 2014.
- Conference paper: Leong, H. (2014) Assessment beliefs and its impact on school improvement: A Malaysian paradigm. 12th International Asia TEFL & 23rd Melta International Conferences, Borneo Convention Centre, Kuching, Sarawak 28 – 30 August 2014.
- Conference paper: Leong, H. (2013). Examining perceptions of school based assessments & nationwide examinations, a case study of schools in Kuching, Sarawak. Melta International Conference on Graduate Research in English Language Education, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 16 November 2013