Irine Runnie Henry Ginjom
Dicipline Leader - Biotechnology, Senior Lecturer
BSc (Hons) (Notts, UK), MSc (UPM, Malaysia), PhD (UQ, Australia)
Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
Office No:+60 82 260 630
Fax No:+60 82 260 813
Room No: E615, Building E, FECS
Irine received her BSc (Hons) in Agriculture and Food Sciences from the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom in 1997, her MSc in Food Chemistry and Biochemistry from Universiti Putra Malaysia in 2003 and her PhD in Food Science and Biotechnology from the University of Queensland, Australia in 2009. She joined the Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science, Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak as a lecturer in 2011.
- Chemistry, structure and functionality of food components;
- Bioactivity of food components especially those related to phenolic compounds;
- Nutritional properties of food components;
- Changes in food properties during processing;
- Life Member, Nutrition Society Malaysia
PhD/Master by Research Opportunities
Potential research higher degree candidates are welcome to enquire about postgraduate opportunities in the following areas/ projects:
- Antioxidant activities of local edible plants
- Encapsulation of food ingredients
Please contact Dr. Irine for more information on the above topic.
Current RHD Supervision
|Name||Degree||Area of Research||Start year||Role|
|Juliana Ho Sing Fang||MSc (completed)||Marine-based bioactives||2012||Co-supervisor|
|Tan Xian Wen||MSc (completed)||MPlant-based bioactives||2013||Co-supervisor|
|Melissa Chang May Fung||MSc (completed)||Carbon dots as sensors||2013||Co-supervisor|
|Armstrong Ighodalo Omoregie||MSc (completed)||Soil-based bioactives||2014||Co-supervisor|
|Isuriy Amanthi Adasuriyya||MSc||Plant antioxidants||2014||Coordinating Supervisor|
|Chan Wen Loong||MSc||Biofertilizer||2015||Co-supervisor|
|Li Ling Yun||PhD||Bioactive encapsulation||2015||Coordinating supervisor|
|Stanley Ho Han Kiat||MSc||Biofertilizer||2016||Co-supervisor|
|Wendy Ong Han Sze||MSc||Biofertilizer||2016||Co-supervisor|
|Nur Diyana binti Musa||MSc||Plant antioxidants||2017||Coordinating supervisor|
- Book and book chapter Indah Epriliati and Irine R. Ginjom, “Bioavailability of phytochemicals”, in Phytochemicals – A Global Perspective of Their Role in Nutrition and Health, Ed. Venketeshwer Rao, March 2012, InTech. Croatia.
- Journal paper Chang, MMF, Ginjom, IR, & Ng, SM 2017, ‘Single-shot ‘turn-off’ optical probe for rapid detection of paraoxon-ethyl pesticide on vegetable utilising fluorescence carbon dots’, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 242, pp. 1050-1056.
- Journal paper Omoregie AI, Senian, N, Phua, YL, Ngu, LH, Ong, DEL, Ginjom, IRH & Nissom, PM 2016, ‘Ureolytic bacteria isolated from Sarawak limestone caves show high urease enzyme activity comparable to that of Sporosarcina pasteurii (DSM 33)’, Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 12(6), pp. 463-470.
- Journal paper Omoregie, AI, Senian, N, Phua, YL, Ngu, LH, Ong, DEL, Ginjom, IRH & Nissom, PM 2016, ‘Screening for Urease-Producing Bacteria from Limestone Caves of Sarawak’, Borneo Journal of Resource Science and Technology, vol. 6(1), pp.37-45.
- Journal paper Chang, MMF, Ginjom, IR, Ngu-Schwemlein, M, & Ng, SM 2016, ‘Synthesis of yellow fluorescent carbon dots and their application to the determination of chromium (III) with selectivity improved by pH tuning’, Microchimica Acta, vol. 183(6), pp.1899-1907.
- Journal paper Kong, EL, Lee, BK, Michelle, Ginjom, I & Nissom, PM 2015, `DNA damage inhibitory effect and phytochemicals or fermented red brown rice extract’, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 732-736.
- Journal paper Ginjom, IR, Caffin, NA, D’Arcy, BR, Gidley, MJ 2011, `Phenolic compound profiles in selected Queensland red wines at all stages of the wine-making process’, Food Chemistry, vol.125, pp. 823-834.
- Journal paper Ginjom, IR, Caffin, NA, Gidley, MJ, D’Arcy, BR 2010, `Phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of major Australian red wines throughout the winemaking process’, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, pp. 10133-10142.
- Journal paper Runnie, I., Salleh, MN, Mohamed, S, Head, RJ & Abeywardena, MY 2004, ‘Vasorelaxation induced by common edible tropical plant extracts in isolated rat aorta and mesenteric vascular bed’, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 92, pp. 311-316.
- Journal paper Roach, PD, Salleh, MN, Runnie, I, Mohamed, S & Abeywardena, MY 2003, `Inhibition of low density lipoprotein oxidation and upregulation of the low density lipoprotein receptor of human liver HepG2 cells by tropical plant extracts’, Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 30, pp. A8-A8.
- Journal paper Runnie, I, Mustapha, NM, Muse, R, Hamid, A, Nawawi, H, Abeywardena, MY & Mohamed, S 2003, `Antioxidant and hypocholesterolemic effects of Elaeis guineensis frond extract on hypercholesterolemic rabbits’, Asean Food Journal, vol.12, issue 3, pp. 137-147.
- Journal paper Salleh, MN, Runnie, I, Roach, PD, Mohamed, S, Head, RJ & Abeywardena, MY 2003, `Effects of edible tropical plant extracts on inhibiting copper-mediated low-density lipoprotein oxidation and upregulating low-density lipoprotein receptor in HepG2 cells’, Free Radical Research, vol. 37, pp. 69-69.
- Journal paper Abeywardena, M, Runnie, I, Nizar, M, Mohamed, S & Head, R 2002, `Polyphenol-enriched extract of oil palm fronds (Elaeis guineensis) promotes vascular relaxation via endothelium-dependent mechanisms’, Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol.11, pp. S467-S472.
- Journal paper Mohamed, S, Runnie, I & Salleh, MN 2002, `Liver malondialdehyde, a good biomarker of herbal antioxidative properties in vivo’, Free Radical Research, vol. 36, pp. 80-81.
- Journal paper Salleh, MN, Runnie, I, Roach, PD, Mohamed, S & Abeywardena, MY 2002, `Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation and up-regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor in HepG2 cells by tropical plant extracts’, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, pp. 3693-3697.
- Conference paper Alan Yee Quan Chua, Moritz Müller, Irine Runnie Ginjom, John Sabang, Peter Morin Nissom and Lee Tung Tan 2016, `Exploring growth enhancing rhizopheric microorganisms for silviculture of Neolamarckia cadamba’. 33rd Symposium of The Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2016, 14-17 December 2016, Ramada Plaza, Melaka, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper Wen Loong Chan, Moritz Müller, Irine Runnie Ginjom, John Sabang, Lee Tung Daniel Tan and Peter Morin Nissom 2016, ` Exploring growth enhancing rhizopheric microorganisms for silviculture of Eucalyptus pellita’. 33rd Symposium of The Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2016, 14-17 December 2016, Ramada Plaza, Melaka, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper Mertensia Kia Chen Kho, Irine Runnie Henry Ginjom, Moritz Müller, and Daniel Lee Tung Tan 2016, `Isolation and characterization of microorganisms for the formulation of biofertilizer for oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) cultivation’, 33rd Symposium of The Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2016, 14-17 December 2016, Ramada Plaza, Melaka, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper Johnny Tang Jock Lee, Angelie Dely, Madushika Ramanayake, Isuriy Adasuriyya and Irine Ginjom 2016, `Phytochemical contents and antioxidant activities of L. alata, B. angulata and S. caseolaris’, 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Global Agriculture and Food 2016 – Safeguarding Global Consumers: Innovation in Food Science and Technology, 9-11th August 2016, Semarang, Indonesia (poster).
- Conference paper Armstrong Omoregie, Irine Runnie Henry Ginjom, Dominic Ong Ek Leong, Peter Nissom 2016, `Cross-disciplinary research: Developing biocement applications using locally isolated ureolytic bacteria’, 4th Borneo Research Education Conference (BREC 2016), 17-18 Aug 2016, UiTM Sarawak, Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper Nurnajwani Senian, Khoshedlnezamiha Ghazaleh, Armstrong Omoregie, Dominic Ong Ek Leong, Peter Nissom, Irine Runnie Henry Ginjom 2016, `Development of bio-pavers with microbial induced calcite precipitation technique using Sporosarcina Pasteurii’, 19th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference (SEAGC) & 2nd Association of Geotechnical Societies in Southeast Asia (AGSSEA), 31st May – 3rd June 2016, Dorsett Grand Subang, Subang Jaya, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper Omoregie, AI, Senian, N, Li, PY, Hei, NL, Leong, DOE, Ginjom, IRH & Nissom, PM 2015, `Characterisation of urease producing bacteria from Sarawak caves and their role in calcite precipitation’, International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology (ICMSM2015), 7-10th December 2015, Bayview Beach Resort, Penang, Malaysia (poster).
- Conference paper M. Chang, I.R. Ginjom, M. Ngu-Schwemlein, Sing Muk Ng 2014, ‘Development of yellow carbon nanoparticle by acid dehydration for detection of organophosphate pesticides’. 24th Anniversary World Congress on Biosensors. May 2014, Melbourne, Australia (poster).
- Conference paper Melissa Chang, Maria Ngu, Irine Ginjom, & Sing Muk Ng 2014, ‘Development of yellow carbon dots for detection of lead and chromium metal ions’, Europt(r)ode XII. April 2014, Athens, Greece (oral presentation).
- Conference paper Tan, XW, Hwang, SS, Fong, AYY, Ng, SM & Ginjom, IR 2014, ` Preliminary screening of γ-oryzanol content in local rice varieties of Sarawak’, The 18th Biological Sciences Graduate Congress (BSGC), 6-8th January 2014, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (poster).