BiographyJanice is currently the Associate Dean (Academic Practice) of the Faculty of Business, Design and Arts. She has more than 10 years of experience in academia. In her current role, she works with Head of School to facilitate staff participation in professional development activities. This includes facilitating the development of new faculty members and the enculturation of these staff members into Swinburne Sarawak. Given support from Melbourne counterpart, she works with Digital Learning Technologies at the Sarawak campus to promote new educational initiatives. As a member of the Academic Practice Committee, she also works closely with faculty/school representatives to identify and prioritise skill enhancement areas, and to facilitate continuous development of academic and professional skills of faculty members. With her research interest in corporate social reporting and corporate governance, she is doing doctoral studies in these areas. She is currently pursuing her doctoral studies with Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) and is expected to complete in 2022.
Research InterestsCorporate social reporting, corporate governance and educational research
Teaching AreasFinancial Information Systems (computerised accounting)
Professional MembershipMember, the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand
Member, the Malaysian Accounting Association
Member, the Teaching and Education Research Association
Research Grant2017: Do investors in Malaysia value more those firms with an increased transparency in corporate social reporting, Research Micro Fund, Swinburne Sarawak
- Journal Article: Liau, S.Y.H., Sim, C.H. and Tan, K.T.L., (2019). Innovative use of digital badges to motivate students at higher education: current insights and avenues for further research. International Journal of Quality and Innovation, 4(3-4), pp.167-188. Available at: https://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/abs/10.1504/IJQI.2019.105760
- Journal Article: Sim, C. H., Daw, T. H., & Md Isa, A. H. (2016). Practising FRS and Audit Quality Support Financial Success of Construction Firms in Malaysia. Unimas Review of Accounting and Finance (URAF), Vol 1, No 1 (2016).
- Conference Paper: Sim, C. H., Daw, T. H., & Muhd Sadiq, M. K. (2013). Review on the Corporate Governance Attributes and Voluntary Disclosure Studies, Proceedings of the International Conference on Contemporary Issues in Accounting and Finance: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice, Malaysia.
- Conference Paper: Heng, K. S. & Sim, C. H. (2012). Application of Problem-based Learning in an Introductory Economics Unit, Proceedings of the 3rd International Problem-based Learning Symposium, Singapore.
- Book chapter: Sim, C. H., Modapothala, J. R., & Lau, B. T. (2010). Determinants of E-commerce among the Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in Malaysia, in Thomas, B & Simmons, G (eds), E-Commerce Adoption and Small Business in the Global Marketplace: Tools for Optimization, IGI Global Publishing, USA.
- Conference Paper: Daw, T. H., Sim, C. H., & Sulaiman, A. (2010). Implication of International Financial Reporting System in Non-financial Corporations in Malaysia’, Proceedings of the 11th Malaysia-Indonesia International Conference on Economics, Management & Accounting (MIICEMA), Malaysia.
- Conference Paper: Sim, K. H. & Sim, C. H. (2010). Measuring Price Deviation to define Volatility and the State of Price: A Study on Four Major World Indexes’, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Business Intelligence and Financial Engineering (BIFE), Hong Kong, pp. 450-454.
- Conference Paper: Sim, C. H., Modapothala, J. R., & Lau, B. T. (2008). Determinants of E-commerce adoption among the SMEs in a developing economy – Malaysia, Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Globalization and Technology Innovation (ICEPT), Nanjing, China, pp.100-114.