Engineering Project Management
One Semester or equivalent
PG Civil, Construction Management: Nil.
UG Civil/Engineering: 250 credit points
Aims and learning outcomes
This unit of study aims to provide engineering students with an understanding of how organisations function in engineering projects. It specifically focusses on introducing relevant theories, principles and techniques for effective leadership and management in engineering projects.
Unit Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this unit should be able to:
- Describe and appreciate the fundamentals of management and how they relate to project-based activities.
- Describe the principles of effective leadership and ensure responsible teamwork in the project environment.
- Analyse an organisation’s strengths and weaknesses (particularly in the project setting) and evaluate and implement appropriate changes for the delivery of effective project management.
- Identify stakeholder requirements and understand and establish relevant organisational culture and behaviour for the delivery of successful projects.
- Describe and undertake project definition, project planning and project implementation using some key tools and techniques for effective project management.
- Organisational structure, culture, teamwork, mission and objectives, business strategies and planning, particularly as it relates to project management.
- Leadership and leadership qualities, differences between management and leadership, project management attributes
- Different management and leadership environments that determine competitive strategies and advantages, organisation culture and capability, responses to external and internal
- Change, individual effectiveness and bottom line performance.
- Project control mechanisms – performance standards, developing outputs and performance measures, setting targets and assessing performance feedback.
- Project Management including definition phases, planning phases and implementation phases. Applications of project management for a construction project including the interactions, roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders.