Application Process

Applications for Master by research and PhDs are accepted year round. Please follow the steps below to complete your application.

Should you have any questions about enrollment please contact the School of Research.

Decide on your research topic

The first step in your application process is to decide on a research area or project you would like to conduct. Your topic should align with our impact areas or research focus.

Areas of study for research:

  • Teacher training and education sciences
  • Social and behavioural science
  • Business and administration
  • Life Science
  • Physical Science
  • Mathematics and statistics
  • Computing
  • Engineering and engineering trades

Swinburne Sarawak offers specialised PhD's which are aligned with existing research projects. Please check here for availability.

Check on the entry requirements of your program

Please check your specific program for entry requirements.

Master by Research

Doctor of Philosophy

Find out about scholarship opportunities

Swinburne offers various research scholarships based on merit, and please visit our scholarships page for more information.

There will be four rounds of scholarships per year.

Find a supervisor

You need to find a principal coordinating supervisor for your research project and only applications submitted through your supervisor will be considered complete.

The School of Research can assist you in finding a supervisor based on your research interest, contact us at

You may also contact the HDR supervisors from our research centre and clusters.

Application forms

Please submit your application through your supervisor, and attach a scan of certified supporting documents. The list of supporting documents is included in the application form.

These forms are for the two referees mentioned in your application form. If your referee can comment on your Academic history and performance, please provide them with the Academic Referee Report Form. If your referee is a non-academic referee, please request that they complete the Non-Academic Referee Report Form.

Where possible, it is preferable that the references are academic in nature but it is understood that this may not always be possible. Your referee report is confidential and should be sent directly to the School of Research by your referee.