Find answers to common problems with logging into library databases.
Log in not working?
If you’re having trouble logging in:
Canvas link not working?
There are a few things you can try:
- Copy the link and open it in a new window outside of Canvas
- Off campus links require a proxy. Check that the link has the following prefix: http://swinburnedb.librarynet.com.my:2048/login?url=
- Copy the title of the article and search for it through the library search
- Contact your lecturer and ask them to fix the link.
- For other Canvas problems, such as disappearing units, contact the Service Desk. Call +6082 255 000 or email email@example.com
Do you have cookies disabled?
Many databases require cookies and Java to be enabled in your web browser. If they have not been enabled the database may not work at all, or may not work correctly.
You can enable cookies via your browser privacy settings.
Have you cleared your cache and cookies?
Clearing your cache and cookies can help resolve many browser functionality issues.
- Cookies are files that store information on your site preferences. Clearing cookies can fix issues related to sign in.
- The cache stores data from websites you visit so webpages will load faster. Clearing your cache can resolve issues related to pages not loading or displaying old page content.
For instructions see your browser support website
Do you use Ad Blocker or Extension?
Disabling or removing your Adblocker and Extension can help resolve many browser functionality issues.
- While it’s easy to see the appeal of ad blockers and extension features, the software has nearly as many drawbacks as it does advantages. Despite its name, ad blockers often end up blocking more than just advertisements
- Refer instructions here on:
Are you unable to view PDFs?
All scanned articles and many database articles are only available in PDF (Portable Document Format). To view PDF files open them in your browser or download Adobe Reader
Is the full text not available?
Not all of our databases provide full text for every journal. If the full text is provided, you may be able to access it by selecting the full-text button, unlock icon or green icon as different databases have different approach in telling the full-text availability. Please ensure to limit your search to full-text prior to do searching.
Are you using a workplace or ISP firewall?
Most workplace networks use firewalls, proxy servers and other security measures that may affect database access.
If you are blocked by a workplace or network firewall you will need to contact your network provider.
We cannot guarantee access from all remote computers due to variations in configuration and personal or network security software. However, we will do whatever we can to help you!